Italian Tomato Sauce – Easy
Doesn’t need to be complicated with this simple recipe and using quality ingredients will give you a traditional Sicilian tomato sauce like this one with its beautiful fragrance and flavours. Bellissimo!
Credit to comfortablefood.com for recipe
- 6-8 cloves Garlic cloves peeled & thinly sliced
- 2-4 tbs Italian Herbs
- 2 cans Italian tomatoes (more intense flavour over using fresh)
- 2-3 Onion sliced thinly
- 2 tbs tomato Paste (concentate)
- 2 tbs Sugar
- 2-tbs Olive Oil
- 2-tbs Butter
- Melt the butter and the olive oil in a large heavy bottomed sauce pot.
- When all the butter is melted, add the onions and garlic, salt well, and saute over medium heat for about 7 – 8 minutes, until the onion rings begin to lose their shape and soften.
- Add the canned tomatoes (with their juices) and bring to a simmer.
- When at simmering, reduce the heat and maintain a slow simmer for about two hours, stirring frequently.
- Add the sugar, tomato paste and Italian herbs (if using dried herbs add now, if using fresh, add about 10 minutes before blending)
- Stir well, and continue to simmer for about another hour.
Let the sauce cool a bit, then using a hand-held blender, puree until smooth.
Fresh basil can be used in place of dried herbs