Make your own spice mix and start pickling your own vegetables. Particularly great for adding extra flavour to a corned beef or stew, add some to the centre of a piece of tied cheesecloth with a string drop into your pot to infuse while cooking.
- 1 cinnamon stick ground or coarsely chopped
- 1 tbs Allspice
- 2 dried bay leaves crushed
- 1 tbs cardamom seeds
- 4 cloves coarsely chopped
- 1 tbs coriander seeds
- 1 tbs yellow mustard seeds
- 1 tbs black whole peppercorns
- 1 tsp ground Ginger
- 1 tsp dill Seeds
- 1 tsp crushed chilli flakes
Makes approx 1/2 cup – use
- If using cinnamon sticks or bay leaves, crush them up with a mortar and pestle into small pieces or use a spice grinder.
- Mix to combine your chosen ingredients in a small bowl.
- Store your pickling spice mix in a sealed, airtight container like a glass jar and keep in a cool, dark place. Use in any pickling recipe.
credit to Mike @chillipeppermadness